Friday 28 September 2012

A little history behind The Wellness & Networking Event For Women


As I am getting everything in place for my upcoming event: The Wellness & Networking Event For Women, I cannot help, but think of my journey and of where the idea to host this event comes from.

Yes, there are many events out there, the one more spectacular than the other.  But when I got the idea for this event, I asked myself: "How do I make this event one that will speak to the heart of women, of all women, irrespective of race, culture, religion - especially since I do not have the fame-factor that tends to more easily draw people?

I thought of what was important to me, about what I would like to hear when I attend an event.  And I decided to bring a number of experts together, to ensure that my event is able to touch everyone present.  At the end of my event, I want delegates to be able to list a few things that they know more about or understand a little better BECAUSE they attended The Wellness & Networking Event For Women.


My beautiful invitation


Do send me an email if you would like to receive the invitation via email.  

My sponsor

This year I am honoured to have Old Mutual on board as sponsor and Ms. Sylvia Walker, Market Development Managerwho will share some of  her knowledge and expertise around financial matters. 

When I look at the invitation and at all our contributors, I am proud to say that my delegates will be in great company.



My passion for health and well-being
I believe in balance.  As women we may not always get this perfectly right, but trying, is good enough to start with.

I often look back and think about my mother, because this is something that she never experienced.  All the sacrifices that she's made for her children when she was left to raise seven children by herself, after my father left and failed to support us.

Well, I don't know how she did it.  And even though I am grateful that she was my mother, even though I am grateful that she has made all the sacrifices, I wish that she would have done a little more for herself.  But it is too late now.  On 28 March this year, she was gone (had passed on) for 19 years.


You are fabulous, special and worthy With this event, I would like to say to every woman out there, who is still not quite featuring on her list of priorities, that you have to find time to focus on yourself.  
This is the reason why I always sponsor the mid-week break

One lucky lady will walk away with this prize - a week (Monday - Friday) at Mabalingwe Nature Reserve in Bella Bella.


Some feedback from the lady who enjoyed the mid-week break after a previous event.  Her colleague was the actual winner, but gave her the prize.  For privacy reasons, I have altered her email address a little.


----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 2:21 PM
Subject: RE: Seasons Eco Golf Estate

"Good Day Andeline.

The holiday was awesome.
The accommodation was really beautiful.

I got some time to relax and refresh, which I really needed.

I received great service from the staff there as well.

All went 100% smoothly.

Thank you

N. T."
.........................................................

Why do we have an expert at the event, doing blood pressure checks?
I have always been a very healthy person and was blessed with genes that ensured that I never struggled with weight issues.

Yet, at age 33, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.  I was embarrassed about it and remained "in the closet" about this diagnosis for a long time.

Most women are still struggling with assertiveness.  How often do people step on our toes and we keep quiet, because we do not want to come across as rude?

We tend to turn the other cheek, take a deep breath and often suffer in silence. The worst part is that every little issue that is not dealt with, makes a dent in our overall emotional well-being.  And when we deal with enough issues in this way, there is a good chance that we will end up with some disease. 

Women are often the last to feature on their list of priorities, if at all.  This is also true for health matters. Most women tend to put off those important medical check-ups.  Well, it IS better to know.  It is important that we know our numbers, i.e. blood-pressure, cholesterol and so forth.

I am proud to say that because of The Wellness & Networking Event For Women, we have saved, or at least prolonged quite a few lives over the years.  A number of women, have been diagnosed with sky-high blood pressure, while they had no idea of their condition.  We need to look after ourselves a little better. 

Your number is private
We respect your privacy, therefore you have to volunteer to have your blood-pressure taken.  Rest assured - the medical expert won't blurt out your measurement in front of everyone.

The danger of an inability to let go
Apart from doing everything right, I was diagnosed with this disease because I did not realise the impact that my inability to let go of crippling emotional pain and prolonged anger, had on my health. 

With the diagnosis and the inability to let go, came severe chronic shoulder pain - every day.  My dear husband had to give countless neck and shoulder massages.  I am grateful for his wonderful support. 


The switch to that chemical imbalance (high blood pressure diagnosis)
Looking back, I remember the details about that switch, from being free from high blood pressure to being counted as a sufferer.  I remember what I was thinking, I remember feeling angry. I remember being aware of how my blood pressure increased. I remember the sensation on the top of my head, the sensation of my tongue.  I remember focusing and trying to pull myself away, changing my state and focusing on breathing.  

I managed to do this, but I could not prevent that switch... 

Today, I can't help but wonder whether I was heading for a stroke, if I did not manage to pull myself away in time.  

This is one of the things that I discussed with one of my Psychology professors a few years ago, when I had him review my programme on emotional intelligence: The Art Of Letting Go.  A programme that I developed after my miraculous healing.


Possible future research
I am very interested in finding out (research) what exactly happens with stroke victims, just before their stroke.  Perhaps I could do this research as part of my doctorate studies.
I am interested in finding out more about the sensations that stroke victims experience just before getting a stroke, when the stroke is as a result of holding onto bad anger.

It would also be wonderful to perhaps have an expert determine that I was indeed preventing a stroke that day.  And if it is, perhaps what I have done, could be taught to possible stroke victims - struggling with anger issues.

See, I am very passionate about Psychology and about learning exactly how the mind works and more.

This experience was a profound journey and a wonderful lesson in emotional intelligence.  

I shared a little about my experience (in Rooi Rose, May 2012) and about the powerful vision that I had that finally made me realise that I was going to die prematurely, if I didn't let go.

Long story short...

I eventually managed to tackle the "demons."  I worked through the issues, and managed to let go and forgive.  When I felt that I was eventually free from the pain, I noticed that the chronic pain in my shoulder had disappeared.

Let's appreciate the one body that we have and let's look after it to the best of our ability.

Today, I am looking forward to becoming a Psychologist and to contribute. 

I look after my health, do regular exercise and always take time to breathe.
  


Even though it is not recommended, I have (for personal reasons) decided to chuck the chronic medication out the window. 

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!  

My advise is that you speak to your medical practitioner and be closely monitored by them and only take such action, under their guidance and with their approval.

.......................................

Thank you. I am looking forward to hosting you.

And remember to look after yourself, your health and well-being.

Andeline.

Email: info@andeline.co.za
Mobile: 072 856 0218


No comments:

Post a Comment