Tuesday 3 July 2012

PR Consultant - My new Hat





When you are committed to learn and grow,  wonderful things are possible.

Grow your business by getting great publicity has led me to now also wear the PR hat. Getting all the wonderful publicity that I enjoy, didn't happen overnight. It took me years to get to the stage where I am. I learned the hard way; no celebrity status, no mentor, but hard work, trial and error and finally getting it right. Today my services include teaching you the ropes so you'll avoid those trials and errors.

Getting great publicity can do more for you with building your personal brand or business, than a paid advertisement could. If you do it right, you can claim your space as an expert in your field and enjoy fantastic publicity on an ongoing basis.

Never underestimate the power of your “small” community newspaper.

I deal with many people who underestimate their community newspaper and what it could actually do for them. This was where it started for me. I began with regular news features in the community newspaper in my home town, George: The George Herald. Then, here in Johannesburg, the Roodepoort Northsider has played a major role in building my career over a period of four years. I am extremely grateful to both these publications.


How did I do it?
This is the question that I had to answer many times over the last two years, especially since not being a celebrity.

Andeline, how did you managed to be able to write a regular column for Kuier magazine?”
Today I am known to Kuier readership as Kuier Coach. I absolutely love this title.

Andeline, how did you managed to get all the wonderful publicity in reputable publications?”
These include: Destiny magazine, Vrouekeur, Rooi Rose, The George Herald, Roodepoort Northsider, Get It Magazine, Rapport and others?” And on radio: RSG, SAFM, talk radio 702.

Andeline, how do you manage to contribute your expert opinion to Lig and Vrouekeur on a regular basis?”
This is wonderful, because I worked with one journalist and they would tell another, even at a different publication.

Andeline, how did you managed to get your regular expert slot on Afrikaans radio station, RSG?”
I absolutely respect the people whom I deal with. My relationship with my favourite presenter started about four years ago. I send an email. I wasn't sure that my proposal was acceptable and simply wrote from the heart. Well, I was contacted and had the wonderful opportunity to share something with their listeners. I then choose to send regular updates on my progress over the years. And “the rest is history.”

Relationships
Relationships and how I treat my fellow human being, are extremely important to me. I managed to build wonderful relationships with journalists, editors and producers. These relationships resulted because of the way in which I have conducted myself and how I have dealt with them. Trust was built. Things positively escalated from there. You have to value people. Well, this value has certainly worked in my favour.

You have to treat journalists, producers and editors with respect and empathy. There are many people out there, with a story that perhaps are even more newsworthy than yours. You have to make sure that you are the person who gets selected to have their story published.

I am constantly learning, because I want to grow and be recognised by mainstream South Africa as a PR expert, as someone who could get great publicity for my clients as well. This I have proven over the last few months.

Attend my next public seminar on Expert positioning, titled: Grow Your Business By Getting Great Publicity. Here you gain all the necessary tools to start your journey. I believe in giving you real information, real direction. In fact, you get MORE than what you pay for, but that is my gift to you.

Since I know exactly who to contact at various media platforms, most people prefer to appoint me as their PR agent. You can do too. Terms and conditions apply.

Since this service is about introducing you to my contacts in the media and about managing my reputation, there are a number of things that I look at BEFORE taking you on as my client.

Example:
  • If you are hosting a function and would like me to invite a journalist to do a news story, please make sure that you have a beautiful venue.
  • Please make sure that you appoint someone to attend to this journalist on the day of your function.
  • Please make sure that you deliver on the expectations that you created about your function. You do not want the journalist to arrive to do your story, but then change their mind, because you didn't deliver. Believe me – this CAN happen!!! However, with my checklist of what I look for, you'll be able to be a winner on your special day.

In short: Make sure that you treat this journalist like royalty. 

I will share more about the how-to on proper conduct soon.

You too can position yourself as an expert, get great publicity and share your expert opinion on your platform of choice. And the good news is that you do not have to start out by being a celebrity.

Yours in PR,

Andeline Williams-Pretorius.

Speaker, Trainer, Author, Life Coach for Kuier magazine, regular expert on EMPATHY on Afrikaans Radio Station: RSG, regular contributes expertise to various magazine articles.

Please visit my website Http://www.andeline.co.za
Follow me on Twitter, connect with me on LinkedIn and / or Facebook.

Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment