Sunday 24 March 2013

Making Expert Positioning Work



I am writing here with a heart filled with gratitude, a mind filled with many dreams and a life filled with wonderful examples that show that with hard work and commitment, everything is possible.


I guess by now most people know me as someone who does a lot of things, in spite of people telling me that I shouldn't; that I should be known for only one thing. Well, if I would do that, I would be throwing the other talents and passions that God gave me, right back in his face. I chose to develop them all, to make money using them all, to ensure that I am in an even better position to contribute to others.

In this competitive world we live in, it is in our best interest to know something about more than one thing. This is what I believe. Indeed, you cannot do it all, all of the time. This is why, when you get to a certain stage, after laying solid foundations, you should find the right people to work with you in building your dream. You'll not only create employment, but this would also allow you more free time to lay the foundation for the next initiative. This is what “speaks” to me and I intend doing it this way.

Doing more than one thing, has just secured me wonderful credits towards my Psychology qualification. Some of us are wired to do more than one thing, just like others are meant to do only one; some people are meant to be employees, while others do their best work when they are an employer.

Just last week, I read a blog post where the author addressed the same issue – how it is the no. 1. mistake to do more than one thing. Because I heard this before and strongly disagree, I proceeded to read the blog post. Everybody was “ooohing” and “aaahing” about the great blog post. I thought that it was great writing, but I told the author that I disagree with him on a few points. I used this larger than life example: Richard Branson. Look at everything that he does: Fitness centres, an airline, space craft, an NPO for entrepreneurship, music, he is an author & speaker, etc. He lays the foundation and then he employs people to work with him on building his dream further. That way, he has enough time to think up the next initiative.

Some people have an urge to give unsolicited advice, telling me that I should do only one thing. Today, I have wonderful credits, because I dared to do more, because I risked being seen as “wrong” for having more than one passion. The most important thing, is that I do not feel “wrong.” I simply feel that I'm following my passion. And I will continue to do so. More wonderful things to come my way, because I made it my business to know something about more than one thing.

Some people have one thing that they are passionate about. Others have more than one. Regardless of the category in which you fall, don't allow anybody to tell you that you are “wrong.” Be you and live your individuality. We were not meant to be the same, anyway.

And it is okay to sometimes deviate from the norm, from doing something the way it's always been done and to make a few new rules.

Wondering how you could position yourself as an expert?  Enquire about my training programmes.

And because I made it my business to know something about more than one thing, chances are that I'll be able to solve your problem.

Yours in Empathy,

Andeline Williams-Pretorius
CEO, Andeline's Motivational Training
Inspirational Speaker, Trainer, Author
Empathy & Relationship Expert on Afrikaans radio station: RSG
Life Coach & Columnist to Kuier magazine
Creator of The Empathy Campaign
Mobile: +27 72 856 0218
Http: www.andeline.co.za
You can also find me on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment