Friday 22 February 2013

Four keys to being a regular guest on radio, for a year and longer


Opportunity comes to those who...create them.




On 25 January 2013 I've been blessed to share my message of empathy on radio, for exactly one year.  This wonderful opportunity came about, as a result of my book on empathy, titled:In Mekaar Se Skoene. 

From the very beginning, I said to myself that I will treat the opportunity as if it is a paying job.  And I'm glad I did, because it has opened another avenue, that I have to remain tight-lipped about for a little while longer.  Even though I didn't get paid in monetary terms, the positive feedback received and the fact that I am still on air, are priceless rewards.

Like Richard Branson says: “Do good, have fun and the money will come.”

I look back at my journey; a journey that was one of growth and contribution.

BUT...

  • What did I do? 
  • How did I do it?
  • And what could I share with you, should you be interested in sharing your knowledge on a particular media platform.


1.  Commitment:
It is extremely important to make the commitment, once you have made up your mind about following a particular journey.

2.  Be available and be ready
My empathy contribution is done via telephone. 
Can you imagine how my hosts would feel if they were to call one day, and I do not answer my telephone? That would create an inconvenience, leave them feeling irritated, but it would also mean that I am unreliable.

I make sure that I am available, that I am close to my telephone when it rings, and more importantly, that I am ready to share my contribution.  My wonderful hosts do not have to call me ten minutes before the time, to tell me that they will call me within the next ten minutes. 
They know that I will be on the other side and that I will be ready.

This builds trust – something that is extremely important in business.

3.  Preparation
It is important to prepare, irrespective of how well you think you know your topic.  This shows respect for yourself and your work, for your host(s), but most importantly, for your audience.

4.  It's not about you, but about the listeners
To be a regular guest / regular expert on radio, it is important to remember that it should not be about you, but about the listener.

Ask yourself the following questions:
  • How will my message benefit the listener, (my audience)?
  • How will their lives be enriched by being exposed to my message?
  • What could I teach them?
  • What could I remind them of? or 
  • How could I make them think?

It is also important to NOT offend the listener.   Do not underestimate their intelligence.  If you have to communicate a difference of opinion, you can do so in a respectful and empathic manner.

Remember the above points and positive rewards would be inevitable.  Apart from wonderful feedback, you will gain the respect of your audience and might gain a few more clients.

All these came my way, as well as the wonderful bonus that I need to remain tight-lipped about for a little while longer.

Food For Thought
When your foundation is empathy, service, and to positively contribute, it might take a little while longer to reach your destination, but believe me: you will get there and you will get there good.   


Best wishes with your journey of building your personal brand or business by getting great publicity. Should you require my services in this regard, contact me to request a quote.

In my programme, I focus on the following:

Write your book and use it to position yourself as an expert



Be a guest on radio or television, sharing your knowledge and / or expertise


Convince a reputable publication to tell your life-or business story


    How to identify an opportunity to become a columnist

    Register your passion as an NPO 
                                          In-Law Support, NPO 070-849


In all of the above, I focus on:
  • the how-to's,
  • valuable and practical steps,
  • real examples,
  • approaching journalists, editors and/or producers,
  • Common mistakes that you should avoid.
Thank you.  I hope that you have found some value in this blog post.

And do connect with me on Linkedin: za.linkedin.com/in/andelinewilliamspretorius/

and follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/andelinewp

Yours in Empathy,

Andeline Williams-Pretorius
Inspirational Speaker, Trainer, Author
Regular Empathy & Relationship Expert on RSG
Life Coach & Columnist to Kuier magazine
Email: info@andeline.co.za




No comments:

Post a Comment