Monday 5 November 2012

How do you discipline your child? My next empathy contribution on Afrikaans radio station: RSG

The way in which we discipline our children, has a profound effect on them.  When I grew up, physical beatings were still at the order of the day.  I was three years old when I got my first real hiding - from my father.  My siblings were playing outside and didn't come in soon enough, after being ordered to do so.  

I still remember my father saying to me: "Don't think that just because you are the baby in the house, you can't get a hiding!"

I don't recall too much, but I do remember that I was sitting curled-up afterwards, thinking in my three year old mind that my father can't possibly love me, if he could beat me like that.

How do you discipline? 
How does your child feel afterwards?  
Do you know?


Get your copy of my book.  R159, 00 + R25, 00 Postage.
Contact me to order your copy.

Are you plagued by guilt because of how you've disciplined your children?
I spoke to someone (via telephone) on Saturday.  She told me about the many mistakes that she's made over the years when disciplining her children.  She mentioned how she struggles with guilt and how she is tried to "rectify" the situation by being good to her grandchildren.

Her further studies, not only made her realise that she's made mistakes, she also asked her children for forgiveness and managed to forgive herself and today she is making a positive contribution to the well-being of children.

Her children are not making the mistakes she's made, with their children.  Her grandchildren are lucky, because more often than not, inappropriate or abusive disciplining practices are carried over from one generation to the next.

Do you believe that children deserve respect and EMPATHY?

How were you disciplined as a child?

How many of those practices (good or bad) are you using with your children today?

Which one's will you never employ?

Do you make use of inappropriate discipline?

Are you aware of the possible damage to your child's self-esteem?

Are you aware of the possible damage to your child's level of assertiveness?

Do you struggle to do away with inappropriate or abusive discipline, even when you know that it is wrong?

Join us tomorrow (during my regular empathy slot on RSG) as we look at how parents discipline their children and the possible effects it has on the child. 

Do send us your questions or comments, between 09h00 & 12h00 on a week day, to brinkm@rsg.co.za or text message: 33343.  Text messages are charged at R1,50 each.


Stay tuned between 09h00 & 10h00.  Frequency: between 100 & 104FM.


What is your empathy or relationship challenge?
Let us know by sending an email to Martelize at brinkm@rsg.co.za 

Alternatively, you can send a text message to 33343.  Text messages are charged at R1,50 each.  

We may be focusing on your challenge next time.

Thank you for listening.

"RSG, dis die een."


More About Me: Andeline Williams-Pretorius


CEO, Andeline's Motivational Training, Inspirational Speaker, Trainer, Author
Mobile: 072 856 0218
Andeline is Life Coach & Columnist to Kuier Magazine. 
She is PR Consultant;
Empathy & Relationship Expert on Afrikaans radio station: RSG.



No comments:

Post a Comment